Under the School Education Act 1999 government schools are required to have a school council with parent and community members holding the majority of its membership. The principal is automatically a member of the council. School staff and students 15 years and over may also be nominated.
The school council’s involvement is in the governance of the school, however it does not have a role in school management. It is a separate entity to the parent and citizen body, but a member of the Parent and Citizens’ Association (P&C) may be nominated in the parent or community category. As such school council meetings cannot form part of the P&C meetings.
Functions of the school council:
- Take part in establishing and reviewing the school’s objectives, priorities, major initiatives and general policy directions as per the school plan
- Planning of financial arrangements necessary to fund the school’s priorities, objectives and initiatives
- Endorse the school’s annual budget and any major changes throughout the year
- Endorse and approve voluntary contributions, charges, extra cost optional components and personal items for the provision of the school’s educational program
- Approve any agreements or arrangements for advertising or sponsorship
- Determine students’ dress code
- Promote the school in the community
What are the goals of the Wongan Hills District High School Council?
- to help all school children reach their potential by working in partnership with the school
- to provide input to the school philosophy, planning, programs and policy to promote unity within the school
- to encourage parent participation in the activities of the school and school council
- to create awareness and make recommendations about local and provincial levels
- to increase awareness of Wongan Hills District High School in the community
The School Council is made up of 6 Parents who are on 2 or 3 year term which are staggered and nominations are called for at the start of each year through the Wongarette. Additionally there is a P&C Rep who is appointed by the P&C each yearly.